Top 500 Global Sites  

Posted by Natalie Surace

I recently stumbled across this website. It lists the top 500 most visited sites in the world and gives analytics for each of them. Google is, of course, number one, but I was surprised to see Facebook right behind it, despite how popular I know it is (I would have assumed YouTube). For a business looking for places to market itself, this would be the place to go to find the site with the most reach, and if it will stay that way.

You may be surprised to see which sites are most popular worldwide. So, give it a look. Are you surprised to see which sites are growing? How do you think this list will change in 5-10 years?

http://www.alexa.com/topsites

4 comments

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Most of the sites on here are familiar up until the 60s where the websites start to become more international. Google for any country is on the list, which is no surprise. However, I was surprised about rapidshare, which is number 17, and in front of many huge sites, even ahead of Ebay and Amazon.

I was really surprised to see that Bing.com was number 21, which was ahead of Amazon and eBay. I predicted that Amazon and eBay would be in the top 10 on this list because in my eyes those are pretty popular, so it was interesting to look and see all sorts of international websites on the ranking as I typically don't focus on things outside of the U.S. in this respect. Also, I have personally just recently heard of Bing.com because of television commercials, so I was pretty surprised it was ranked so high.

Seeing as Bing.com is ranked so high and I was not familiar with it until recently, I definitely think that in the next few years these rankings can change significantly. I do NOT predict that Google will be removed from the number 1 spot in the near future, but I could see sites such as Twitter and YouTube continuing to increase up the ranks.

I think it is also interesting just to notice that the top websites (besides google which EVERYONE uses) are all social sites. Sites in which people can interact with one another and form new or closer relationships. I also think thats what business should focus an aspect on as well, is orming trusting relationships with their customers because not everyone wants to be sold on something through flashy media, but rather through honesty and loyalty. I wonder if, in the future, more informational websites will top the charts?

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers