Facebook and Twitter based news?  

Posted by Alicia Schofield in , ,

Can this actually be written? News based on Facebook and Twitter? The answer I would immediately jump to is no. However a group of French journalists have agreed to find out if this is can actually happen. This group of five is going to lock themselves in a farmhouse in France for five days only able to access Facebook and Twitter -- and nothing else. They will then write the news based on the tweets and Facebook updates and be unable to verify anything. It's up to them to assume what is true and false.


This article immediately caught my attention. Like I said, I really wouldn't trust much from Facebook and Twitter to base news off of. If I haven't been paying attention to the world recently, I might get a glimpse of something worth looking up, but I'd never just take what I see at face value. For that reason, I think this experiment is quite interesting; it allows for a way test the validity of social media and how much it is trusted. Basing entire news stories of these sites definitely seems like a stretch to me, but I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

Click here to read this article in its entirety.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers