Haiti Disaster Reilef Online is Huge  

Posted by Brynna Baldauf in , , ,

The Red Cross had set up a number to text from your phone to send $10 dollars to those in Haiti who needed it. From this alone, they have raised $5 Million. Celebrities have tweeted about this and it showed up in my feed by at least 3 other people. T-Mobile also promised to drop all of the costs associated with calling to and from Haiti until the end of the month and has also agreed to drop charges for the text message donation to Red Cross. Google flat out contributed $1 Million of their own money to the cause as well.

There are other online sites that are helping out too, such as Skype who has sent $2 vouchers to its customers in the area, allowing them to communicate for up to an hour and GoDaddy who has donated $500,000 to the cause as well. Facebook has a page where you can learn about the disaster and MyYearbook has raised $3.5 billion in "lunch Money" which isn't actual money, but it is yet to be determined how it translates into helping the cause.

Read More

2 comments

This is amazing to me, being a skeptic when it comes to donating through text messaging. I always wonder if I'm going to be charged the correct amount, if it's actually going to the cause I want it to, and if I'm going to now be put on some annoying text messaging service that doesn't stop. I am, however very impressed with how much has been donated already to help compared to what has happened after natural disasters in the past, especially when it comes to social media.

This truly shows how easy and fast it is now a days to connect and inform people with the use of technology.I was watching CNN to inform myself about the situation in Haiti and I was really taken back by all the pictures posted online to Cnn's website via twitter and text message updates.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers