WISK detergent gets creative with Facebook app  

Posted by Chelsea Palmer in , ,

Searching for a full-time job in packaging, I've been browsing through several consumer products websites in which I stumbled onto The Sun Products Corporation. They are the producers of WISK laundry detergent that have been around since 1956. Not only was their website intriguing with a scrolling panel of company updates, one of the more recent updates suggested that they had linked up with Facebook to create an application. After reading the article, I thought I'd share it with the class to see what other people thought.

As an apparent attempt to reinvent their brand, WISK has created a Facebook application to most likely increase their consumer base. The application's purpose is for Facebook users to gain more control of their personal privacy by having the ability to edit what pictures are posted. Currently, users only have the control to de-tag or untag pictures that friends have posted. With this application, users can search for all tagged, de-tagged, and untagged pictures of themselves and request that their presence be excluded from a given photo album posted by their friends.

How is this relevant to laundry detergent, much less the Sun Products Corporation? They're using play on words to describe this application as a way in which you, as a Facebook user, can "stop your friends from airing your 'dirty laundry' online by helping you request they wash away certain photos" (WISK app). Seems like a bit of a stretch in marketing techniques to me, but at the same time it's a clever way to increase the company's brand awareness.

1 comments

I like this article a lot. I wish Facebook would let you permanently delete pictures of yourself posted by other people. Even though you cannot re-tag someone after they've untagged themselves, if you look through the album itself, you can still recognize people. If employers are going to be using Facebook now, I want to be sure that I present myself in a good light.

Have you tried this app yet? I like the slogan about airing dirty laundry and I think it's a great way for a product that exists mainly in physical reality to get into the virtual world.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers