Paranormal Activity, Bad movie, great Social Media Marketing  

Posted by Dr. Raj Murthy in , ,

As we discuss the power of social media almost every class here is a link that one of my friends (former star student) sent me today. The movie “Paranormal Activity” was filmed for only $11,000 yet grossed $100 million-plus for Paramount Pictures. It is one of the top grossing movies of the year 2009 and its success is attributed to friend-to-friend reviews on Facebook and Twitter, which lured moviegoers into theaters. Social media in action, 100 million plus reasons why to start using it today.

Read more here

2 comments

I remember when it came out, everyone who saw it posted on their facebook status. I eventually saw it and thought that it was kind of funny. I do agree that it was not very good but the only reason it made that much money was because of the hype from social media.

Every day there is a ___________ born. While Paranormal Activity may not have been a great movie, I did go to see District 9 (my first movie that I saw in the theater in Rochester) because I heard so many great things about it on Facebook. That one did turn out to be a good enough movie. The lines between actual marketing and genuine comments is becoming pretty thin as we move along.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers