RIT Protesting Semesters via Facebook  

Posted by Chelsea Palmer in , ,


After our brief class discussion that took place yesterday, I wanted to check out exactly how many forums had been started as a result of RIT President Destler's desicion to change from quarters to a semester system. I was able to locate 5 groups that have been created since the announcement through Facebook. The largest group, which I joined because the name is intriguing, is "In Loving Memory of the RIT Quarter System," which has 2,109 current members. The other groups include; "RIT doesn't care what I think," "Bad Decision Destler," "RIT Semester System Protest," and "I'm not giving back to an RIT with Semesters," all of which have between 750 and 50 members respectively.

Besides all of these groups being against semesters, the majority of them are also promoting the idea of not giving back to RIT once we're graduated as a result of their switching to semesters. I feel that this idea is ruthless and ludacris as RIT is not infringing upon current students ability to succeed after graduation.

In addition, through these sites I was able to locate 2 different petitions, both of which have under 200 signatures. But, the most surprising post on these sites was RIT's past president, President Simone's decision back in 2000 to retain the quarter system and his reasons for doing so. The data collected from students, faculty, and staff back in 2000 appears to be no different than the data collected this past year in 2009. So why exactly is RIT making the switch? I believe it's simply because we have a different President who is interpreting the results in a different way.

I don't agree nor do I disagree with the decision President Destler has made. I just know that in the past 4+ years I've spent here, I wouldn't have minded semesters. But alas, I only have a week left at RIT before I'll be done for good, so you won't hear me complaining.

Check out the Facebook group In Loving Memory of the RIT Quarter System

4 comments

They had their chance to voice their opinion in the meetings that had been setup earlier. Unfortunately for them, hindset cannot change anything. I prefer semester systems over quarter systems myself. I didn't care for quarter systems but I was okay with it.

Times do change and they have to change with it. Most universities have moved away from the quarter system and having a Facebook page full of people who haven't seen or developed proper arguments will do nothing.

I think the change from quarter to semester system will be an improvement for R.I.T.Students need be able to balance a social and academic life at R.I.T. With the quarter system students that want to get involved on campus can't because the 10 week quarter system makes it very hard to do so. With a semester system students will find it easier to accomplish projects,get involved, and find co-ops.

I'm also undecided as far as changing from quarters to semesters. This is only my second quarter at RIT, my previous college experience has been in universities using the semester system. So for me it was a adjustment, one that I'm still not 100% on. However I can see there will be advantages and disadvantages to switching. As long as the benefits out weigh the loses, It will be a good transition.

I think semester is better than quarters for many reasons. Besides the reasons mentioned before, there will be enhanced opportunities for students to recover from illnesses and other interruptions in their studies since semesters are 5 weeks longer than quarters. Also, there will not be a quarter disrupted by a break (like the winter quarter), which makes it difficult for students to keep on track with classes when they are back to school from vacation.

According to RIT, the proposed calendar would allow for the offering of an optional January mini-mester for students who fall behind in their programs, want to shorten their time to degree, want to earn some extra money to help pay for their education, or want to work intensively on student projects. This optional mini-mester will allow students to take one course in an intensive manner over a period of about four weeks.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers