Posted by Dr. Raj Murthy in

This is an interesting research article talks about targeted advertising. Turns out that most U.S. residents do not want to receive Web advertising tailored to their interests. Statistics is a funny thing, and as the often cited example goes, it can correlate ice cream sales and crime rates. Yet another time to remember that correlation is not equal to causation.

Read more at
http://www.itworld.com/government/79438/survey-us-residents-dont-want-targeted

Compare this with the results of another survey.
http://www.truste.com/about_TRUSTe/press-room/news_truste_behavioral_targeting_survey.html

2 comments

I can actually see where people would NOT want to receive targeted web advertising. I was actually on the phone with my mom this evening and I was telling her about all the cool things I have been learning in this class, and she was kind of taken aback by it.

Her response to everything was "wow...what? They can do that? That happens to me on Facebook?" Then she went on about how she always has advertisements asking if she is "looking for love". Once I explained that facebook KNOWS she is a single middle aged woman she was kind of upset that it was targeting her.

I think that older generations especially are more afraid of this "violation" by websites using their information with analytics because I don't think some of them understand what it is or that it is happening, and I think they are more used to privacy overall.

If a company offers a products that I want, then I'll probably be more than glad to give them my money and of course the company will be happy to take the money from me. I'm pretty sure most people rather to see ads for things they want to buy and choose not to see ads for stuff they don't want to buy. I think the problem is when a person's privacy is attack to target ads. Like the article mentioned, "They're very concerned about their personal information being used, especially in ways they're not aware of."

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers