Criminal Escapes Prison, Taunts Police Via Facebook  

Posted by Unknown

This article is about a guy that escapes prison, and well, taunts the police via Facebook. The first thing that popped into my head is 'what responsibility does Facebook hold'? Should they be required to give information like IP addresses, etc, in order to find the guy?

It seems kind of ridiculous that the authorities have still not been able to locate this guy, while he's out there booking his face off.

http://gizmodo.com/5433127/criminal-escapes-prison-taunts-police-via-facebook

3 comments

Wow! Every time i read about facebook I get to know a whole new way of using it! In this case I believe that facebook should give away the IP address and other important information to the police. I think this will not be seen as selling information but as a way of cooperating with justice. If facebook fails to give this information I think they can be partially responsible...

I agree with Ximena that Facebook should provide police with the information they need to help find criminals. It is more than civic duty or doing the right thing, it even looks better from a business aspect. If consumers see the site as a place that helps conceal criminals, they will be less likely to use it.

I think this could potentially become a problem if Facebook ends up giving personal information to the wrong people such as scammers who pretend to be some sort of authority. However, that is easily resolved by authentic verification.

The article really caught my attention!! I think it's interesting the fact that companies can see your pictures and profile before hiring you, but the police cannot use Facebook to their advantage. I do think that giving out personal information would be violating your privacy.

I agree with Tracy concerning the potential problem this may cause Facebook. If police have access to the IP address, hackers may eventually break in the system and have access to personal information as well.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers