'Friendsourcing': Search Gone Social  

Posted by Jamie Least

Through integration of social media and search engine, the new wave of information-search will be affected by people's opinions in social groups. As Google has been, if one link is highly linked by other pages, it will be higher ranked. But what if two people of completely different minds search for the same term? They get the same result.

The result is not tailored to them, but to the keyword, and that will change. "Crowdsourcing" is a thing of the past. The new buzz word is "friendsourcing," which refers to the idea that those with whom your are closest can give you more reliable information than the rest of the world can. The information is fitted just for you, because of those people from whom it came.

1 comments

While I like this idea, I can see consumers getting annoyed with their friend's information being the first thing that they see. If someone in my family just had a stroke, and as of recently, my buddies were tweeting about the latest new celebrity stroke(knock on wood), I would find that first, and then have to scroll down to find out how to take care of my family member. I know it sounds silly, but I, like most people, like my information to be readily available in that "F" area of the screen.

I can see marketer effectively using this to their advantage, though. It will be crucial that each company's marketing team will know how they intersect with social media, and use that understanding to define how to attract people to their products.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers