Twitter has an impact at Wegmans  

Posted by Alicia Schofield in ,


This blog isn't connected to any sort of news story, but more to a something that happened to me today and demonstrates the impact of social media.

I work in the coffee shop at the Calkins Rd. Wegmans store. I went to work this morning and noticed that we had two flavors of the week instead of just one. This really isn't all that big of a deal, but in my three years working in a Wegmans coffee shop we've only ever had one flavor of the week. So I asked why, and the response -- Twitter.

I was told that 13wham anchor, Rachel Barnhart, tweeted about our coffee selection. So when I got home from work today I did a little research. On January 4th she tweeted: "@Wegmans Calkins (fantastic store) Love white swiss mocha, rainforest crunch, chocolate raspberry...just be good to mix it up! Thanks!"

The next day my coffee shop manager got called into the store manager's office and voila -- an extra flavor of the week. And Rachel Barnhart even tweeted a thank you when she saw we had extra flavors.

I honestly never thought Twitter would have an affect on my job at Wegmans. It was kind of a shock.


If you're interested in the posts, you can view Rachel Barnhart's tweets here.

1 comments

Several posts this week talk about the impact of social media and seeing this one as a direct impact example made my day. I will be using this as an example for several quarters. Clearly social media was used both to express a viewpoint and the business was listening. Interesting to see that wegmans is actively listening. Thanks for sharing, this is precisely the purpose of the class blog so we can all learn from each other.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers