Twitter Analyzes User's Reactions to the iPad  

Posted by Chelsea Palmer in , ,


After Apple released it's announcement of the new Apple tablet, the iPad, a total of 177,000 tweets were made in only a half hour. The comments, however, demonstrated a very divided Twitter user-base on the new tablet. Approximately 48% of tweets were positive towards the iPad, while 52% were negative. The chart to the right outlines the most common reactions from Twitter.

Personally, I am very curious to see the iPad in action. It may not look that impressive as it resembles an enlarged iPhone, but it does look like a very innovative spin on laptop- tablets. I wouldn't be surprised if Google came out with a similar product in the near future.

Read more here

5 comments

Apple is extremely good at creating a LOT of hype about their products. I'd be lying if I said it doesn't work. But as many people have mentioned, is it necessary? With functional, reasonably priced laptops, and even mini-laptops,an e-reader, a smart phone (or even a regular cellular phone) and possibly a pair of headphones in many people's possession, does it serve any purpose? If you must have the newest gadget, then yes it serves a purpose but for all practical reasons it is a combo deal. I'm not sure whether or not it can take pictures but if they can add the ability to make phone calls to the device it may arrive to greater fanfare.

The comic strip Doonesbury has done a good job lampooning the hype over the big launch this week - and it's impressive that the strips were published this week without a delay.
I heard some funny comments this morning questioning if Apple had consulted any woman's groups about the name iPad. No wonder so many tweets responded the name is dumb -it does sound like a feminine hygiene product.

David, I completely agree with your comment! I had the same thought when I heard the name, iPad. It's extremely unflattering- and one of the first things I thought of was feminine hygiene. Apple must not have very many female employees is what I'm thinking.

I am surprised at the split between like and dislike for this new device. I feel like most Apple releases are well-received, but this one is almost cut down the middle. It would be interesting to see graphs like this for prior Apple announcements.

Here's a link to the MadTV sketch from a few years ago that parodied the iPhone. I have to wonder if Apple marketers were aware of the sketch when they gave the thumbs up on the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers