How Will the Facebook Web-based Email System Change Email Marketing?  

Posted by Jenn Liang in , ,

Article: Read full article
Source: http://www.gather.com/


Facebook is in the process of implementing a web-based Email system that (is rumored) to have the potential to have a great effect on email marketing as it is today. They are calling it "Project Titan". It is said it will be a major competitor to popular email services today, like Google's Gmail and Yahoo! Mail. The article provides some perspective of the changes it will have on how email marketing is done and how, if used correctly, will help enhance your email marketing campaigns. However, I feel the hype about Facebook's Titan project is just that: hype. The article goes a bit far, in my opinion, as to say that it has the potential to make users drop services like Gmail or Yahoo! Mail. It seems more Apple's iPad: people were more excited cause of the hype rather than the actual product, which turned out to be a much bigger version of the iPhone. What do you think?



2 comments

I think this article is very interesting, I had no idea that Facebook was thinking about coming out with an emailing system. my thoughts were two main concerns. First of all, they mention in the article Facebook chat and how reliable it was against spamming. This may be true but as a Facebook user myself, if their email system is in anyway like their chat feature, I would be very iffy about using it. Its very unreliable and tends not to work a lot so I would hope the email system would do a lot better. And secondly, I would b concerned about using an email system through Facebook because it has been around for sometime in the Internet world, that means it will probably on its way out relatively soon. Most Internet trends do not last that long.

I would not be surprised if this new system took off. Facebook is a massive online entity that has only grown over the years. It would be really interesting to see how social networking and internet marketing would be effected by this change. If anything, it should make targeting messages via e-mail much easier. I would be curious to see the convergence of these two mediums, which, in my opinion, is bound to happen eventually the way trends are going.

Post a Comment

Categories

Followers